This recipe calls for chicken breast but I prefer chicken thighs because they stay moist and add a little more flavor.
Andouille, Chicken, Red Bean and Rice Pilaf
Write a review
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small (4 ounces) onion, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 links smoked andouille sausage (8 ounces), cut lengthwise into quarters, then crosswise into 1/4″ thick wedges
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice, soaked in cold water for 20 minutes, then drained
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut or shredded into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, no-salt added red beans
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 1/2 cups no-salt added chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water (optional)
- 3 tbsps finely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a large oven-proof saute pan, skillet or shallow braising pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and stir to coat, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring for 3 to 4 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add the andouille, increase the heat to medium-high and cook, tossing the mixture for 3-4 minutes until the sausage just starts to brown.
- Add the rice, chicken and beans, then season with salt and pepper to taste stirring to incorporate. Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil, then cover the pan with a lid or aluminum and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Test the rice for doneness. If the rice is still firm and there is no liquid left, add water, re-cover the pan or skillet and return to the oven to cook until the rice is tender.
- Uncover, stir in the parsley. Serve hot.
My Recipe Source https://myrecipesource.net/