I made this recipe this past New Year’s day… it was really good! I only wish I had made more. Use an authentic German style mustard to kick it up a notch! Also, if using sausages, the cooking time can be shorted if desired because they do get pretty soft after 5 hours in the crockpot.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 pounds sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 pound Kielbasa, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- Cook bacon until crisp, transfer to paper towels to drain. Reserve drippings in the pan. Crumble bacon when cool
- Saute onions in the bacon drippings until transparent. Remove onions and drain on paper towels
- Combine sauerkraut, onion, bacon, brown sugar and kielbasa in crock pot
- Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours.