I found this recipe on AllRecipes. I knew I already had coconut milk in my pantry and I wanted to be able to use it. It has few ingredients. The only ingredient that you might not have in your pantry is curry powder but it can be found at your local grocer.
Note: I used chicken thighs rather than chicken breast. Thighs stay moist. I also added potatoes.
- 2 pounds boneless / skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 14 oz can coconut milk
- 1 - 14.5 oz can stewed, diced tomatoes
- 1 - 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper
- Heat oil and curry powder in a large skillet over medium-high heat for two minutes. Stir in onions and garlic, and cook 1 minute more. Add chicken, tossing lightly to coat with curry oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 7-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and juices run clear.
- Pour coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and sugar into the pan, and stir to combine. Cover simmer, stirring occasionally, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve with basmati rice