I think a quiche is a perfect meal any time of day! I have adjusted quiche recipes in a way I think gives a richer flavor. Don’t forget the nutmeg!
Sausage & Mushroom Quiche
Write a review
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 lb ground pork breakfast sausage (sage is also good)
- 4 springs fresh thyme (or to taste)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream (can substitute with 1 cup half-n-half)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh, not Kraft canned cheese)(can also substitute your favorite cheese)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 - 9 inch unbaked pie crust shell
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a fork, poke holes in pie shell. Bake for about 5 minutes or until beginning to brown. Remove from oven.
- Prepare the mushrooms by snipping off the stems, if whole cut into slices.
- Crumble sausage in a large skillet, add the mushrooms and leaves from thyme springs, cook on medium-high heat until the meat and mushrooms are lightly browned and all the liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated (it is very important to cook the mushrooms before hand because they release a lot of liquid and you don’t want to end up with a soggy quiche). Drain off the grease, let cool.
- In a large bowl (or measuring glass), beat the eggs, adding the cream, cheese, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- In the pie shell, put a layer of cheese along the bottom.
- Add the sausage mixture on top of the cheese layer. Add a little more cheese to the top of sausage layer.
- Pour egg mixture evenly into the pie shell. Add more cheese if desired. Sprinkle top with nutmeg and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when poked into the center of the quiche and the top of the quiche is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My Recipe Source https://myrecipesource.net/